In healthy relationships, individuals share responsibility and decision-making tasks and reflect respect for both people in the relationship. Sometimes unhealthy or abusive relationships can be hard to identify. In general, abusive relationships have a serious power imbalance, with one person controlling or attempting to control most aspects of their partner’s life.
Unsure of what to look for in a partner? Click here.
Statistics and Facts:
- 1 in 10 teens are affected by dating violence.
- 1/3 of young adults between the ages of 16-24 have reported being involved in at least one abusive dating situation.
- 95% of all people who are the victims in an abusive relationship are women.
- Date rape accounts for 60% of all rapes.
- More than 70% of pregnant teens and young mothers are in abusive relationships.
- Dating violence increases in severity the longer the relationship continues.
- There is increased danger for the victim when trying to terminate the relationship without intervention and assistance from professionals.
How do you know if you are in a healthy or abusive relationship?
The following document can provide you with information on the Early Warning Signs of an Abusive Relationship.